Starting your online business begins with an idea. That idea turns into your Niche -> Your idea targeting a specific interest. Choosing a Niche is important because this is the idea you are ‘Marketing’ to the people. There are millions of Niche’s and Billions of web users who are searching every day for their specific topic. Let’s look at important criteria for choosing your Niche.
What are you passionate about?
Choosing a Niche based on your passion and interests is the right place to start for several reasons.
- Usually you know a fair amount about things you are passionate about
- You’ve already invested time and money on your passion so you’ll have something to talk about.
- You would easily be able to answer questions about this topic.
- It won’t get boring spending time learning more about something that you’re already interested in. Going from interested to expert won’t be a huge jump and you’ll really enjoy making money while telling people about something you love.
What I mean by Google it is that you are going to want to check up on the competition. See what else is already out there on the web regarding your particular niche. Ask some questions.
- How much information is already out there?
- Are there a lot of paid Ads coming up on the topic?
- Are the websites personal like a blog or just information from a larger business/company/corporation?
- What kind of information are people looking for regarding your topic?
Affiliate Programs that pay for your Niche
We are choosing a Niche based on our interests but the plan is to monetize that. So we need to know which companies carry products related to your Niche and which ones have Affiliate programs that will generate a commission. This is important as you want to be able to partner with a company and promote their products. There are literally thousands of Affiliate Programs so you’ll be able to hook yourself up and generate income, however its our job to do our due diligence before building out our website. We need to know what our aim is, who we’re linking up with and how we will promote the product.
Wealthy Affiliate has a tool called Jaaxy that can help us with such research. As we figure out our niche and some keywords related to that niche we can find out what kind of competition we have. Jaaxy is included in the premium membership with Wealthy Affiliate which is amazing because this tool alone would cost $20 per month. Jaaxy helps with key word search which can tell you how much competition there is online for the topic that you want to talk about. It can also help you track your websites rankings in Google, find lucrative ideas and what’s trending as well as find Affiliate Programs. Have a look at Jaaxy HERE.
Choosing a Niche
Maybe you still feel unsure what a good idea is or you don’t quite understand a good example of a niche. If you are here looking at this I can tell you that you have a wealth of knowledge. You might have worked somewhere, sold something, done an MLM, home schooled your kids, have a hobby, are involved in a sport or club. All of these experiences can be considered marketable. We are just turning our passion and interest into a job. People’s niches vary extremely and there definitely IS something for you.
I thought I’d list some ideas just to show you what can easily be turned into a niche.
- Homeschool– Your niche could be Curriculum, Supplies, Crafts, How to Homeschool etc. Then you would suggest the resources for that specific area that are sold by a company with an Affiliate Program.
- Journaling-If you are someone who Journals….this alone can be a niche…..how to effectively journal, which journal is right for you, Bullet Journaling vs other types of Journaling, the benefits of Journaling.
- Educational toys- for children, preschoolers, boys, girls, etc. This can include articles about brain stimulation, dexterity, how to choose, what to choose and so on. Melissa & Doug for one has an Affiliate Program and great quality toys.
- Cake Decorating- If you have a skill for decorating cakes and have used fondant or piping skills this could be a great niche. There are lots of cake supplies sold online and you could recommend what’s good, what’s not. You could do teaching videos, share techniques and tips. How to plan your child’s birthday party could be part of it or even its own niche selling party supplies.
- Health & Beauty– Of course this is a broad phrase for literally thousands of niche ideas. This is a billion dollar industry and you could do anything from which Make-up is best to Ketogenic diets or Paleo. You could talk about health foods and how to use Coconut oil. The sky is the limit.
- Fitness- Another rich industry with so many options of what to talk about. Your niche could just be exercise clothes, exercise equipment, how to get healthy, weight loss, supplements, herbs and vitamins.
- Photography-This is a great niche as again there is so much to talk about and you could go so many ways from selling cameras, lenses, photo printers, tripods, photo editing software, etc. So a good example again of a niche is you wouldn’t be as broad as Photography but more like how to choose the right camera or how to choose the right editing program. Great niche
- Camping or Hiking Gear– For the family that is outdoorsy, what a great niche. You could talk about how to camp with small children. Camping on a budget. You could recommend tents and camping gear. Hiking also and rock climbing. Those involve a lot of gear and there are thousands of people interested and looking for information every day.
Obviously this isn’t a comprehensive list but I wanted to throw some ideas out there. Again a niche would look more specifically at one area of any given topic. You don’t want to be too broad, but again each niche has so much to talk about and as you learn more and grow out your website you can also do YouTube videos or Facebook live where you can teach about your topic.
The Wrap Up
We’ve gotta start somewhere on this journey of becoming a Mompreneur. I hope this has been a more in-depth look at what a Niche is and how to choose. I’d be happy to take any questions. Like I said earlier just a little research can open up a million ideas and help you see which direction you could go.
I do want to encourage you with just one idea to start with. I’ve met quite a few people who have 2-4 different ideas and they are passionate about all of them. I suggest starting with the one that feels most natural and comfortable. Once that first website and niche are coming along then you could start with the next. You don’t want to spread yourself too thin because at first you are trying to build Rankings in Google and building site trust where Google sees you as a valuable source of information on the topic.
Another reason I’d suggest just one topic at first is because when we are learning we won’t be doing everything right or producing the best content just yet. So I think if we choose one and go and learn and become better than all the websites and ideas following will be better products overall.
I’m so excited to see where this journey will take you. I look forward to hearing about it and hope will you leave feedback. How exciting to have a new venture and be able to have work that produces an income and we just love our job. When you like to talk about something it just makes it more like fun than work. Being a Mom, part of what I enjoy about building my website is that its my own time and I put on my music and get to just be me and share with you. It’s so refreshing and fun.
Talk to you soon,